First and foremost I am a gardener. I am passionate about the many benefits that plants bring to homes and those who inhabit them. Flowing from this stems my desire to create lush outdoor living spaces for clients to immerse themselves in; to entertain, to relax, to restore, and to play. I love to use bold hardscape materials and contrast them with soft textural plantings to create an attractive and functional design aesthetic.
Beginning with my hand tools, wheelbarrow and secateurs, I began my training as a horticultural technician in 2006 working in residential garden maintenance. During 16 years in horticulture I have expanded upon my knowledge of traditional landscape design, installation and maintenance into contemporary landscape design, organic gardening, permaculture, and regenerative landscaping. Born and raised on Vancouver Island, I have intimate knowledge of the climate and microclimates of our Comox Valley.
- 2021- present: Owner and Principal Landscape Designer, Arianne Huene Landscape Design, Courtenay, B.C
- 2016 – 2020: Owner and Principal Landscape Designer, A Rose in Thyme Landscape Design, Courtenay, BC.
- 2014: Permaculture Design Course (PDC online) with Geoff Lawton.
- 2006 – 2012: Owner, Gardens by Arianne – landscape design, maintenance, installations, Victoria, BC.
- 2006: Horticulture Technician Certification Program, Pacific Horticulture College in Victoria, BC.
Drought tolerant and native species should find a place in most designs, and plants are selected for their seasonal interest as well as their ecological attractiveness to birds, bees, butterflies and pollinators. My planting plans are based on the fundamental horticultural design principle of using the right plant for the right place.
I have experience designing many varied styles of landscapes; from crisp and minimal contemporary living spaces, to tropic infused oases, to family friendly backyard edible landscapes. With a wide variety of design experience and software skills, I create designs that speak to my client’s unique lifestyle.
- Contemporary, minimalistic, outdoor living
- Mediterranean, drought tolerant, xeriscapes
- Cottage gardens, new perennialist / american prairie
- Water features: ponds, fountains, water walls, rain & bog gardens
- Edibles, regenerative permaculture
- Native species, pollinator attracting, BBB’s (birds, bees, butterflies)
- Asian fusion, temperate tropical style
- Classic, traditional, formal
I am never more happy than when out in the wild with my wonderful family, seeing new and unusual plants in their habitats. In the spare hours between landscape design and client meetings, I can be found hiking and canoeing the wilderness with my husband, Jesse, and two children, Clara and Nikolaus. Or gardening.